Thursday, August 8, 2013

Alpha Tests (parts 3 and 4)

Last weekend I had two alpha tests (one more than expected, but I caved to peer pressure).  Both were fairly successful, in that the game did pretty much what it set out to do and everyone had fun.  Spells were still kind of wonky during the first session, but I think they're pretty balanced at this point.  Still a lot of fine-tuning to do on various perks, techs, and spells, of course, but that's going to be the case for pretty much always.

I badly need a phonetic pronunciation guide for basically everything.  With a strong Greek/Roman/Persian influence, there's lots of confusion over how you say stuff.  I don't think I heard "House Achenea" pronounced the same way twice in a row during either session.

I've got a to-do list done up.  It keeps getting bigger rather than smaller because for every thing I finish I find three more things that need attention, but I expect that will be how it goes until the rules system gets pretty deep into beta.

I'm not sure how many more alpha tests I'm going to need before I can say I've gathered the information I need to gather, but off the top of my head I want to:

-Run an all-Fenrir game, just to see how broken a Fenrir pack is by the rules as written.
-Run a game of higher levels, say 4-5, to get a better idea of how the rules scale up.
-Run a short 3-session campaign to get a feel for the domain management rules.

So, that's at least five more before Beta proper.

No comments:

Post a Comment