Thursday, August 5, 2010

An Early Census Salvo, Blog Stats, and Awesomeness

The Federation of Francophone and Acadian Communities of Canada is making legal manoeuvres to get the courts to undo the changes Harper's made to the census. As the group claims:

The federation argues that Ottawa's move violates not only the Official Languages Act, but also the Constitution's Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

It says that without reliable data about the francophone presence in Canada, the quality of government services in French could suffer.

No kidding. I'm not sure that's going to work for the court - without the census, government services all across the board are going to suffer. But it's true that French-Canadians will probably see some of the worst of it (right after the immigrant communities, First Nations, students, the disabled, the elderly, etc., etc.) Which, again it's worth pointing out, is exactly the sort of thing Harper wants to happen with this move. It's certainly not to make a stronger census, for reasons I went into previously; in fact, Industry Minister Tony Clement, who's in charge of StatsCan and has been put in the unenviable position of having to champion this move, previously pleaded with Harper not to do this.

The FFACC is doing this legal action as a last resort - as they said, they "tried everything, everything we could, short of kidnapping people, to meet them."

WELL YOU DIDN'T TRY HARD ENOUGH! Stopping short of kidnapping? Show some dedication, you pantywaists! You want results, don't you?*

*ahem*

Anyway. I've also put a statcounter on this blog, mostly out of curiosity. It's only been up a day, but already I've come to the realization that my blog is... considerably more popular than I'd expected. I figured my only visitors would really be the few friends and relatives I've shared the url with, but that doesn't nearly explain the number of unique IPs that have been visiting this site.

Who are you people? How did you find this blog? And why are you all so quiet?

The title of this blogpost also promised awesomeness, so here you go: The trailer for the newest season of the Venture Bros. "I miss my breasts! Inside me is a woman screaming to get out!"


*Note:  I ask these questions out of levity. I'm not seriously suggesting that anyone kidnap Conservative politicans and hold them in a locked room, forcing them to watch Gigli over and over again until they agree to govern responsibly for a change. Probably.

2 comments:

  1. I have not been secretly leaking your website to nerds.

    I swear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't log on to it from 40 different computers daily...Honest.

    ReplyDelete