Thursday, April 1, 2010

Day 4

A truckful of tourists + back jungle roads + old truck + lots of rum + tour that lasts from 8:30 to 5:00 = a very tired Jesse with a very sore butt. I'm keeping this super-short for now, but I'll post the pics and my thoughts at some point tomorrow.

Good news and bad news.

Bad news: The camera I'm using (thanks, Kelly) stopped working quite right today, about the time I got to the cigar "factory." It still takes photos fine, but the screen doesn't show anything so I'm basically shooting blind. I may start bringing my phone along to use for important shots - it may not be that great resolution (2 megapixels vs. 8 megapixels for the camera), it's a lot more awkward to use, and I can't immediately upload pics to my computer, but sometimes you need to be double-sure you're getting the shot you want.

The good news is that most of the photos I shot blind turned out pretty good, and contrary to my initial fears the camera still works fine - it's just the camera-screen that's become useless.

Oh, and I had some home-made Mama Juana - way better than the store-bought stuff, and even better, you can reuse the bottles to make your own! I bought one bottle for this reason for 550 pesos (around $16-17 CND). The bottles last quite a while - the stuff I tried (super-smooth) was from a 5-year-old bottle, and the older it gets the smoother it tastes. A single batch takes about two weeks to prepare.

Everyone assures me that customs considers it medicine akin to cough syrum - I'm skeptical, but I'm allowed to bring back two bottles of booze so even if they view the Mama Juana as alcohol I should be good.

1 comment:

  1. My father is concerned that a Dolphin has stolen your virtue. Please write soon!

    ReplyDelete